Monday, November 7, 2016

Halloween

Halloween originated in Ireland and Scotland. It was a time for matchmaking -- one last celebration before the cold of winter. It was a time for pranks and games. It was a time that the Irish believed the spirit world was closer than any other time. It was a time for "fortune telling"

There are many games the Irish would play during this time of the year. Many they still play today. Some of the things they still do are build bonfires and set off fireworks once believed to chase away evil spirits.

In the weeks leading up to Haloween, the Businesses, restaurants, and towns went all out decorating for Halloween. One town we went through had all kinds of scarecrow decorations. They were some of the most amazing ones I've ever seen. There were hundreds of them. Unfortunately, I couldn't get any clear pictures as we were driving past. My favorite one, however, was a horse head sticking through a hedge with its rider sprawled on the ground.


At the "Y" us Taylor students held our own party.

Everyone had amazing costumes!


 I bet you'll never guess what my costume was... Especially with this hairstyle which Becca so brilliantly did for me...
 Thanks to Lauren for letting me use her cloak and elf ears.
 After we all admired everyone's costumes, we went into the classroom to play some games.

Like eating donuts without using your hands...
 And a cake eating contest...
 And a "Make a Mummy in 3 Minutes" I wish I could say that this amazing Mummy was our team's. (That is Meghann under all that toilet paper.) Obviously they were the winners, and rightly so ...
 especially when compared with our pathetic attempt ...
I think we failed ...
 After the games were over, we had an amazing dinner in the stunning room the OMs decorated.

It was a great night. I hope you had as happy a Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment