Thursday, August 25, 2016

Bray walk, Dun Laoghaire, Book of Kells and Riverdance Dublin trip

This week has been very fast paced, but I give one quick update before I'm off (likely without my computer) for the next 5-6 days. I'll have a lot more to tell after that trip I'm sure.

After Church on Sunday, we took the DART to Bray and did the cliff walk back to Greystones. Fortunately, despite threatening to rain, it was a beautiful warm day even along the cliffs. Unfortunately, I over calculated the amount of clothes I needed to wear and I baked under jeans, leggings, and a sweater. At any rate, the scenery was stunning and Paige and I made the one hour walk into a two-hour walk...

I love the trees here!
There was a fire here a few weeks ago. You could still smell it.
The sound of waves crashing against rocks was a constant soothing companion.
I think there is a cache down there somewhere...
Greystones from afar! We're almost there right? ... Wrong, still a long way for weary legs to walk.
Add caption
Not everything here is green!

 On Monday some of us girls took a trip north to Dun Laoghaire (Dunleary) to celebrate Abigail's birthday. We were going to go to Dublin, but time didn't allow for that. Fortunately, Dun Laoghaire had a Penny's clothing store (cheap, popular place here) which was the object of interest. After a little shopping, we had a very expensive by tasty Asian meal at a local restaurant and headed back. Dun Laoghaire had many lovely sites as shown below.
Clock tower

Ireland has palm trees.

Lighthouse!

This tree had vines and ivy all over it!

There are several Geocaches in Greystones so I decided to try for a few. So far the three I'm looking for are exceptionally hard and definitely too hard for me to find with no GPS to narrow down the location. I'm trying hard with the clues I have and Google Maps but so far I haven't had any luck. These few pictures are from my attempt early yesterday morning before breakfast.
It has to be here somewhere...

I'm not getting enough sleep to get up for the sunrise yet.
 Yesterday we had an awesome trip to Dublin. I'm not going into detail in this post but there were several humorous stories to say the least. 
The Arts building at Trinity has lovely stonework. These pictures tell Aesop's fables!



All the Burger Kings and Mc Donalds here are in these old beautiful buildings! It is so weird!

We arrived at Gaiety Theater to watch Riverdance

Funny story: They messed up our tickets and we barely got the corrected ones before they closed the doors! We had to run in just minutes before the show started!

Lovely interior.
The chandelier was captivating!

 We also saw the Book of Kells were I spent almost an hour and a half...! Funny story behind that too. We also saw the Trinity Long room, which was stunning. You could smell the aged leather and stories waiting to be read. Unfortunately, the few pictures I snapped in the two minutes I spent in there were blurry. But that is a story for another day.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to hear more. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must later tell us more about the book and this place if you can. the burger king thing would be trippy, but I'm glad they just re-use their old buildings. I think the trend of tearing down old stuff for new buildings is getting to be a bad habit here.
    palm trees are a surprise

    ReplyDelete